If you don’t remember the era before decimalisation in the UK, you may not know that the value of a shilling in ‘new’ money is 5 pence. That wouldn’t encourage you to join the Navy in the 21st century, would it? But back when this was the inducement to join, it was probably worth a week’s wages.
Read the full story, engraved on this beautiful tankard, of how the press gangs duped men into joining the Navy. Learn how the landlords of dockside pubs started to have tankards made with a glass bottom so that their customers could relax and not worry about having a shilling slipped into their beer.
Remember that shillings were still in use during the reign of our current queen, and so your shilling may be a ‘King’s shilling’ or a Queen’s Shilling, depending on its age.
When you buy this tankard as a gift, you may want to have it engraved on the back to commemorate the date of the special occasion. A passing out parade is a perfect occasion, and you can have this tankard engraved and delivered in the UK the day after your order it – if you order before 1pm.
The tankard itself is made of heaving gauge pewter and holds a little over a pint. The handle is suitably sturdy to feel secure in your hand when you hold your favourite brew.
Over 1 pint capacity
Glass bottom with shilling attached
Made in the UK from heavy gauge lead-free pewter
Comes in a standard card box
Engraved with our computer controlled diamond tipped engraving machine
Good choice of fonts for text engraving, or supply your own in .ttf format
Personal logos can be engraved if you send us suitably clear graphics
Read full details on our Engraving Information page
|Dimensions (Approx)||Height: 13.9cm, Width (inc. handle): 12.6cm, Diameter (Base): 9.9cm|
|Capacity||Over 1 Pint|
King's shilling tankard Review by Ray
- Outstanding (Posted on 23/12/2016)
Typo in the display picture Review by A User
- The typographical error of 'unconscious' in the display picture put me off purchasing this product. (Posted on 08/06/2016)
King's Shilling Mugs Review by Terry Haley
These are ABSOLUTELY GREAT those I gave them to where very pleased I shall be ordering three more in the near future.
Again these are outstanding gifts and as a retiree of the Royal Canadian Navy I treasure mine even more. (Posted on 07/02/2016)
excellent presen5 Review by Ian lyman
- This was a wonderful leaving gift the engraving excellent so pleased ordering tankard to have in local pub (Posted on 06/10/2015)
A++++++ Review by FrancisDeFeo
- The shipping was so fast!!! The item is so beautiful. Could not ask for more. Thanks again! (Posted on 16/02/2015)
So pleased with this tankard! Review by Debbie
- I ordered this tankard as a gift for my son who has just passed out into the Royal Navy. It seemed very appropriate as he has just taken the 'Queens shilling.' The tankard itself was excellent quality and the engraving was superb. I couldn't have been more pleased with it and my son is delighted with it. A really lovely gift. Also, the service from this company is extremely good. Highly recommended! (Posted on 15/04/2012)
Perfect Gift Review by Debbie Denyer
- My son has recently joined the Royal Navy and I ordered this tankard as a gift for on the day of his his Passing Out Parade. The tankard is excellent quality and the engraving was done beautifully . My son was delighted with the gift and I am very happy to recommend this company, Their service is first class. (Posted on 12/04/2012)